Monday, June 29, 2015

The Beggar's Daughter, parts 4776 - 4779


 4776. But that was all perhaps just a story telling daydream, and of no consequence, but the upshot of it was that, right there on the train I began to cry, and not muffled sobs, no, not by any means, but hysterics, and cries of anguish, right there in public, in front of a lot of strangers.


 4777. Imagine my embarrassment. I was convulsed with sobs. It was hysterics. Everyone in the car eyed us with mounting alarm, as if something very untoward and frightening was about to happen.


 4778. I took a firm grip on B's arm, and indicated that we had to get off at the next stop. And what was it all about. I don’t even care for that song, and she wasn’t even singing it very well. 


 4779. She was just singing those lines, “And I began to Pray,” as I rushed by her and put a bill in her cup. She broke off her singing at the very instant she saw the note, and went off to another car, without even bothering to finish the line of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment