Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Beggar's Daughter, parts 4756 - 4759


 4756. I begin with a description of a concert, given in Rome some years ago. As far as I can tell, he was at the concert with his beloved. I suspect it was the evening just before a terrible misfortune befell them. I think he must have had some premonition of an impending disaster. Here is his description of the concert.



 4757. My last night in Rome I was able to attend a performance of Archangelo Corelli in a church on the Via Del Corso. You cannot imagine with what pleasure I anticipated the event.


                      
4758. Corelli has always been my favorite composer since childhood. He was Roman and his body has the strange honor of being buried in the Pantheon. This then, to me, was to be the quintessential experience of our trip to Rome. 


 4759. I can hardly listen to certain passages of Corelli, when played correctly, and in the proper tempo, without weeping. My friends know this and are willing to forgive me my tears, if his music catches me unawares in a store or an elevator it can be very embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment