Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Birthday Party, parts 3823 - 3826

 3823. Although I cannot say for certain if Clara was a devout person or a hypocrite, one thing I do know, she had an active and intense aversion for Frida, the free thinking former tutor of Harriet’s family. You may think it a contradiction that I said of Clara that she rushed to mollify Frida when one of her too modern ideas about women was laughed to scorn at the dinner table.


 3824. I can offer an explanation of this however; or rather two possible explanations and you can take your pick. Either Clara felt that Frida’s ideas were so sorry and pathetic that she was genuinely sorry for her as one is sorry for a young child, when one knows that the child must at some point come to realize the foolishness of some of their childish ideas.


 3825. Most probably she quoted to herself some Bible verse such as 1 Corinthians 13: 11, which talks of giving up childish things when one is an adult, I am sure you know the passage but if not I will quote it for you. 



3826. “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment