Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Three Penny Wrench, parts 3296 - 3299

3296. But what did my attachment to my bike have to do with Mrs. Sweet?  It’s obvious, if you consider it.  A bike is a child’s thing, like roller skates and pig Latin, like cart wheels in the yard, like hop scotch and comic books.


3297. Adults have no interest in any of those things.  Adults get in the car and drive to work, then they drive home again.  At home they watch television and then go to bed.  Do you think some man is going to skip on his way to work in the morning.  Skipping might be good exercise but you will not find a single man in the entire world who will ever dare to do it even for five-seconds.


3298. That is the great tragedy of being an adult, and why, in most cases and for most people death would be a much more interesting experience.


3299. What I  understood back then was that Mrs. Sweet was inclined to introduce me to some of the few interesting things that adults get to do that take up some of their spare time;  activities that I  could only vaguely imagine and that I  was very curious about, but only in an abstract sort of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment