Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Three Penny Wrench, parts 3256 - 3259

 3256. But people like Mrs. Sweet do not have screwdrivers and wrenches.  They don’t have tin-snips and pliers and all those things you find in any ordinary house.  I  should have known this because right next to the screws was a butter knife. A butter knife is the sort of thing a person like Mrs. Sweet would  automatically  uses for a screwdriver.


 3257. If you look through your house, searching for something to use for a wrench, you are not going to have any luck. You might try a fork, for example, by bending some tines out of the way, but it won’t work, I  know this from experience, like as not it will be too big, or too small.


 3258. Actually I  knew quite a lot about tools from repairing my bicycle all the time. I had left my father’s tools out in the yard so often that they got rusty and he  locked them in a box so I  couldn’t get to them. Often I had to resort to using silverware to tighten screws with.


3259. But, when I  said,”Where’s the screwdriver?”  she just said she couldn’t find it and pointed to the butter knife with her foot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment