Saturday, January 12, 2013

Otis The Wolf, parts 1090 - 1093

1090. "Therefore the bridges and tunnels of New York are like the Baths of Caracalla, or Notre Dame, in that they were built by a people for a people, and not by a person for persons. But I suspect you have something to say about that corkscrew of a Guggenheim yourself Professor Buboni, since I know how you hate everything after 1917, and I see playing on your face that desire you have to say something nasty about something."



1091. "You are correct Duck, because you got me thinking about modern architecture, a thing I detest, I detest the individual buildings and I hate the entire genre altogether, and I get especially annoyed by the Guggenheim. Frank Lloyd Wright was asked to create a building to honor contemporary art and instead he build a monument glorifying himself. It doesn't matter what they put up on those curving slanted walls, all you can feel there is the ego of the architect."



1092. "Now compare the Guggenheim to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Who was the architect?  I don't even know, but if you ask me, I would say that the architect was the same one that build all of the great American buildings of the past, that being S.P.Q.R. the Senate and the People of Rome, whose architectural sense is the basis of all good architecture."


1093. "But now we have an entire crop of art museums springing up like deformed mushrooms all over the landscape and all of them are monuments to the vanity of  architects who really wanted to be sculptors. It is like building a concert hall which produces so much noise all by itself that you can't hear the music being preformed, something that would have delighted John Cage, since his music is so often composed of silence."

No comments:

Post a Comment