Friday, September 14, 2012

Coromo, Chapter 2, parts 612 - 615


612. Ms. Tallulia said to Coromo, "I want to buy more of these paintings from you when I return next month, the more you can do the better. I am happy to pay you one dollar each for them, but I can't afford a penny more." "There is just one problem," Coromo replied," I don't have any more canvases, the set I started with only had the six." " No matter," she said, "I will send you materials by Fedex next week."

613. Sure enough the following week the resort received a big box addressed to Coromo. Inside the box were thirty pre-stretched canvases, a complete assortment of tubes of oil paint, numerous brushes and palate knives. The only thing missing was turpentine which is not legal to ship.


614. Inside the box of art supplies was an invoice with an itemized list of all the contents of the container. Even though the invoice was stamped "Paid", still the sight of the tremendous expense of the materials made Coromo stiffen with anxiety. His new friend Ms. Tallulia had spent almost a thousand dollars on the art supplies. For the first time since beginning his interaction with the woman he began to feel confused.


615. Coromo thought to himself, "She wants to pay me one dollar for each painting I do, and yet she has spent almost a thousand dollars for the art supplies. There are thirty canvases in the box, so when I am finished she will pay me thirty dollars for thirty paintings, and a thousand dollars for the materials." He could think of no explanation for such a discrepancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment