Sunday, August 5, 2012

Childhood Of The Art Historian, parts 448 - 451

Richard Britell

448. I knew what my art teacher was talking about when she said I couldn't draw. My hundred drawings of Donald Duck convinced me of that. As far as being an art critic, or an art historian; it was all gibberish to me back then, and I didn't even know what the words meant. But then something happened at home that changed everything having to do with my color acuity.


449. My dear Mother was not impressed with my A+ on my book, The Hundred And One Shades Of Red. "This is a sissy book," she said.


450. It was a sissy book!  It is impossible to understand now, what those words did not mean to me back then. I expected some explanation, but my mother did not offer one, and it was many years before I had an insight into what she was thinking.



451. I went to my older brother for an explanation, since he knew everything, I said to him. "Peter, why would a book called 'A Hundred And One Shades Of Red' be considered a sissy book. "Because", my brother said, "only girls know the different shades of the colors, for boys it is just red yellow and blue, try to avoid purple and under no circumstance refer to purple as violet. That's the rule, if you want to be a man."

No comments:

Post a Comment